I feel like ever since being pregnant my hair looks dull and ugly and like dirty dishwater partially due to the fact that I couldn't color it at all while pregnant. I decided that I liked my hair color in the picture I posted of me with my friends Hilary and Jan and SO I had the bright idea to go and get a highlighting kit and highlight my hair myself. I have highlighted it myself before because there have been times where I just can't bring myself to fork over $80-$100 to have someone highlight my hair for me when I can do it myself with a $10 kit from Herbal Essences. Joel and Taylor and I were at Wal-Mart on Tuesday night doing some shopping but they didn't have the kit I have used in the past so I got this one that looked like it would do the trick. Boy, was I ever WRONG. Rule #1 in home coloring- make sure you leave the bleach or color on long enough. Joel has to get up at 3:00 am for work so normally he watches Taylor while I get ready for bed so that he can go to bed at around 8:30-9:00. Well, I decided I HAD to color my hair THAT night. It said to leave the bleach on for 40-60 minutes. Around 8:40 Joel started getting antsy wanting to get to bed so I jumped in the shower to wash it out. When I got out I looked in the mirror and almost cried. I looked like a cheap hooker. My hair was YELLOW. I thought I had ruined my hair. It looked OK on the bottom but the top of my head was all one ugly yellow brassy color. I met some of my friends for work for lunch yesterday because it was my friend Lori's birthday and I wore a hat to cover the ugliness. I was almost too embarrassed to show them all the mess I had created when they inquired as to why I was wearing a hat but finally I showed them. They are nice so they didn't gasp in horror and say, "Annie, your one beauty is gone!" or anything like that. My friend Julie F. put it best when she said, "The bottom half of your hair looks great!" SO, I had to fix it. I thought, "I will try to dye it back to my normal color and if that doesn't work I will suck it up and pay a professional to get it back to normal- or as back to normal as she can get it." So, another hair dye kit, a burned scalp, and 2 days later I think my hair is looking semi-normal again. So, I guess it's back to the ugly dirty dishwater for a few more months until my hair is healthy enough again for me to have a PROFESSIONAL highlight it for me! Another life lesson learned I guess...
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow, that was really diplomatic of your friend to come up with, "The bottom half of your hair looks really great." Remember when you got the haircut that you said mad you look like a chicken? You always end up with cute hair in the end!
Yes, the plummet of feathers was so ugly. It took me like a year to grow that ugly thing out. I also once had a haircut that I thought made me look like a sheep dog. Urgh!
Annie, remember my tiger stripes?? "Put a lot on the sides there where I have gray..." "Oh no, it says dramatic highlights and I thought I got subtle highlights..." "Well, I guess I'll just have to wear my hair down until this grows out..." Mom
Mom- Yes, I remember the tiger stripes! That was so funny... well, maybe not to you but it in retrospect it's funny. Just imagine if the stipes had been on the top of your head! That is what my hair looked like. Joel's mom asked if we took pictures of the hooker hair and the answer is NO! I was too embarassed!!
Post a Comment